Monday, August 27, 2007

FINALLY.....I DID IT!

I have been wanting to start a blog for so long, and now I really have the drive and the purpose to do this. I've begun many, many new experiences and journeys. Moving from my hometown to another state and unfamiliar environment; single life; changing careers; going back to school; raising a grandchild as a single parent....and the list goes on and on.

Now, I have started my Sister Lock Journey. I wanted Sister Locks so I could have hair freedom. I've worn braids off and on for years. I get so tired of wearing them, so I stop and wear my hair, (pressed). After about a week or two, the upkeep is just too much trouble and I want my braids back. No relaxer for me....I can't use chemicals or oils on my hair....my scalp is too sensitive. I haven't used chemicals for over 20 years. So, it's been a vicious cycle. Take braids out, get hair done, get bad haircut, grow it out with braids, tire of braids so I take them out, get hair done, too much upkeep, back to braids.

My Sister Locks began August 25, 2007. 3 months ago I saw a women across a room and I went to her and said, "Your hair is beautiful." "Whatever you have, I want it too." I never heard about Sister Locks before. I read the website, did research, found a consultant and got my sample locks. I made my appointment for approx. 3 months. I changed my mind so many times during that period, but my new Sister Lock friend knew just when to call and encourage me.

Now it's done. Even though I thought I prepared myself, it's hard to accept how it looks in this stage. Normally, my own hair is very thick and full, soft and about 2-3 inches past my shoulders (9-11 inches). Now, during this transition, it appears to be thin, airy and a lot shorter. Please don't get me wrong, I'm happy it's my own hair, and I do love it and I have no regrets. I'm a patient person and I know in time I'll be so, so happy I did this. After visiting all the wonderful sites, I realized that I didn't pick this process for cultural reasons. I chose Sister Locks to liberate me and free me from my vicious cycle. I am hoping that now, (even though I may have approached this all backwards), I will be able to embrace the cultural aspect of having my hair's natural state visable and be proud of it.

After sitting 22-23 hours:











Day 1 - I could not get it together this morning.....but, off to work....

9 comments:

Khandi said...

Wow your locks look fantastic
Like you I had my locs installed recently. Cant wait to follow your progress

Mzcka said...

Your hair looks lovely! SL's are so becomming of you. Keep the pics coming so that we can see your progress. Welcome to the family (aka...hair freedom)
Candace

Naturalist1 said...

Welcome to the family.

Unknown said...

I know the first few days are kind of bizarre. When I first got my SLs put in, I realized that I had never seen pics of anyone just after installation. I didn't expect what I saw!
Don't worry, your parts will fill in in a few weeks. Everyone has an awkward stage at the beginning...The circumference of your locks will swell as they mature..to about the same width as your parts.

Alise M. said...

Everyday that you have SLs just gets better. Rely on your patience and before you know it you'll be SL mentor encouraging others to join you on the journey.

N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

Really beautiful. Congrats! Enjoy your new journey.

ja stu sisterlock journey said...

Congrats on your choice of having your hair sisterlocked, Its looking good aready,you are going to enjoy them more each day,I am in my 5th month and enjoying the freedom so much words cannot explain.

Ms Stella said...

I can identify with your pre-Sisterlocks hair woes. I have been Sisterlocked for 9 months now and I'm here to tell you that you are going to love your hair more than ever! You are starting with a great length for styling and as already stated, the parts will become less visable and your locks with thicken up.

Maryee said...

Wow!! Lovely locks! Welcome to the family!!