Sunday, September 9, 2007

WEEK TWO

Two weeks has now passed and I am quickly approaching my third week. My pictures look the same every time. It's weird....when I look at the pictures, I don't see much of a change. Of course, they still look very braidish. These babies are still like little strings with minds of their own. I've trained some of them to go in my preferred direction so that's better.
My scalp is slowly filling in now....maybe my hair is thinner than I thought. I think one or two in the very back might have come out. Some of them have little beadies on the ends and some of the ends are just straight. They feel light and limp. I spray them with water and braid them or twist them and roll the ends so they'll look fuller. A couple of nights i fell asleep without braiding or putting anything on my head. (well quite a few nights). I got up and went about my business without even really doing anything with my hair. I love it! I love not wearing a shower cap. I love how it blows in the wind. This is truly freedom.
My grey hair is beginning to grow. I don't think it's becoming to me at this point in life. Sometimes I forget and think it's lint and try to pick it out. I know it is, and will be very much a part of my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of my age...it's just not becoming to me right now. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep from dying it...I'll just have to see how much grey I can take.....
I'm hanging in here. I've actually worn it loose for for a few days instead of clipping it up. It feels good. One of my biggest critics says she loves it! That means a lot. I've been trying to keep my hands out of it and it's not itching at all. I think changing from tap water to bottled water was the key. I've just noticed some flakes on my shoulders when I've worn black. I'll have to take care of that. I'm trying so hard to wait for my first wash.

I'm finally getting used to them, but I'm still not quite comfortable with how I look. I can't say I'm actually secure with them yet. Reading the blogs of others are helping me through all this. I've said it before, but I am truly amazed at all the common and interesting experiences, the support and genuine concern that are shared in the blogs and lockitup.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ajewelle, Fret Not, Ever'thin's gonna be OK. Your hair looks great. I am 15 months into this journey and it does get better with time--just like Black Women and Fine Wine. Your hair looks very similar to mine. Here is my blog site; http://1fantasticvoyage.blogspot.com
Tkae care,
Jos

Anonymous said...

Ajewelle your hair looks beautiful. You may not be able to see the change because you are seeing your hair everyday. Just keep visualizing what your locs will look like in a few months to get yourself thru these early stages. My installation is sched for 10-2-07 and I've selected you and Renea Henry as the lights that will guide me thru this journey so hang in there knowing how much you mean to those that are to come!

ajewelle's brand new day.... said...

Anonymous - thank you so much. I'm just as happy as I can be! I'm getting through this stage better and better everyday. It's amazing. And for you, I'll be looking forward to your installation date with excitement. I do appreciate the opportunity to be an inspiration to you as you've just inspired me. Take care now...

Amba said...

Your locks are lovely Ajewelle. And love your name. Makes me long for the early days. I actually enjoyed my newbie locks very much. Maybe it was because they were so what I had wanted. I haven't looked back and wouldn't change the journey even despite some hiccups on the way.