Sunday, October 14, 2007

LIFE BRINGS SO MANY CHALLENGES.......

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE...STILL WORKING ON COMPUTER ISSUES!




















I'VE BEEN SL'D 2 MONTHS NOW. I'M LOVING THEM MORE AND MORE EACH DAY.

My SL babies are curly, straight, long, short, fuzzy, silky, tidy, unruly, thick, thin, full and stringy. I never know what they're going to do or how they're going to look. Everyday they're different. This is really a hair journey. Actually, I've been going through a crazy hair journey all my life. Hair has always been an issue...i'm happy when the hair's happy. I'm Happy!













SL'd 7 WEEKS
Yes, I've totally neglected to keep my post updated due to many, many issues going on in my life. But now, it's all good. My life is settled down a bit and my sisterlocks are thriving.

I MOVED! I had to downsize 150 percent and it's hard to let things go. Moving was a good decision and even though it was the biggest feat I've done in a long time, it will be worth it. I will save financially and be more comfortable in a home instead of an apartment. I can now start living life the way I hope to instead of working without being able to live life. Because of the move, I've had major computer issues, can't get online, can't host my pictures, can't get to my e-mail. ....but throughout all of this there was one thing that was constant....I didn't have to deal with my hair. Now that's a blessing!

The pics below are SL'd 5 WEEKS!

I've been through all the usual baby sisterlock emotions...up and down, I like it today, I don't like it tomorrow. It seems to look the same, my parts aren't filling in fast enough, I'm itching and flaking, it's not long enough...you know! A little disappointing at times, but I'm patient and the bottom line is that I love the freedom and I'm thankful to have them.

I experienced my first wash and I love how it looked and felt. What a change..they almost felt crispy. I still have little braid-like babies, but it does look thicker...especially in the back. Washing was an experience. I don't think the SL Shampoo is good for me, but I'll use up what I have. Since my skin and scalp is sensitive, I believe it caused a rash on my neck and forehead, and eyebrows. I'm also more itchy, not only in my scalp, but on my face and shoulders. After banding I had such a mess. I couldn't get those little bands out of my hair, and yes, I lost some hair...quite a bit. I guess I have to do them a lot looser next time. That's how you learn. Thank God they were bright colors. A week later I found one on the side that I completely missed.

I did something I wasn't supposed to do...but I've done it many time while wearing braids so I thought I could gently dye my edges in the front and top. Just about 1 inch all the way around the front of my face. I was very careful and it worked out great. I use Bigen Hair Color. It has no peroxide and is very gentle. I've been using it for years and it doesn't affect my skin. It's a powder that you mix with water and I must made sure it was thin so I could wash it out easily. I cannot stand the grey that frames my face. It looks like lint. I really tried to stick it out, but I had to give in to my vanity. I'm happy with the results. These pictures are after my very first wash after my first retightening......(my hair really shrunk up). I know...they all look the same, and I'm scalpy again.


















My retightening felt good. It took about 2.5 hours or a little less. I thought I had lost a couple in the back, but my loctician told me I did not lose one...not one. That made me very happy. I guess I'm taking care of them the way they should be. For the most part I just leave them alone. I love them when they're wet. I spritz with bottled water and sometimes a little sea breeze.

My hair is one length. The total look is something like a bob. I kind of wished I would have gotten it layered before I got the SL's put in. I'm still dealing with the see-thru thing. I think my sides, (at least on the right), are sparse because when I used to straighten my hair I would always burn it on the right side. I'd stick the comb or curling iron on my hair without being careful and it would just burn. It would smoke, turn light brown and the just fall off. Since I wore braids a lot I didn't consider the uneveness an issue. Now, on the front right side I have hair from 9 inches to 2 inches long! (Shorter on the right because that's the side I begin with.) My left side is consistent in length and fuller. I think layering would have made it fuller all around. Oh well, I always want something that I don't have. If I had it layered, I probably would wish it was one length. That's how my hair saga's been for a long time.

I banded and washed a second time. I'm probably going to wash it at least once a week...I like how it feels so much. I had to search for the little rubber bands because I lost them in the move. Finally after wasting a day searching, I decided to buy some more. Of course, at the time the beauty supply was not open. I went to the drug store....no little colored rubber bands. I went to WalMart and found these bands which were colored plastic and I love them. I had to get the package with three different sizes, but that's okay. They were stiff, but easy to get on and so easy to slide off. The main thing is I didn't loose any hair. I would recommend them instead of the regular rubber bands. I won't go back. Oh, when I wash my last rinse is with bottled water. The water in Vegas is very, very hard.

I have worn my hair so many ways throughout the years and I just want to share some pics of the many hairdos I've gone through. I've tried a weave, afros, half wigs, and ultimately mostly I wore short, long, extra long and layered braids. I believed that braids were the best for me because I had hair freedom....hence, Sisterlocks....they're ideal for me. The pictures below show some of my styles in the past 6-7 years.


7 comments:

N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

And the challenges come to make you stronger, my sister. Glad you got your new home. That's an achievement. Congrats. Be encouraged that things will soon revert to normal in a little while.

Re the banding and braiding issues you've been having, you can check Sunsail's blog and Brunsli's as well. They both have posts that deal with the types of bands one can use.

I think your hair is looking just great, and I like the bobbed look. Continue to enjoy your journey, and remember that we're here to support you and each other.

Anonymous said...

WOW, your locs look fantastic. It's amazing how different Sisterlocks look on everyone. Yours have really thickened up so much. I like the one length- think it gives you more options for styling.

I'm trying the small terry cloth covered bands and so far they're working well.

Enjoy your locs!

Jhac26 said...

Your locks look great. Isn't it amazing how many transitions we go through with our hair and how this one chnges provides us to continue to experiment with new and trendy looks... but without stressing about humidity (oops, forgot you're in Vegas... I have that issue here in TX)or getting caught in the rain. I hope that you continue to enjoty your SL journey.
Best wishes to you!

Salt-n-Pepper Diva said...

Your hair looks really good and the bobbed look frames your face.

I am not SL'd yet but also in LV and will be checking your blog for tips and tricks, especially with the water issue. Who in LV do you use to maintain your beautiful SL?

Sogolocs said...

I am so interested in the Bigen hair color. I am experiencing what I call the gray halo. How often can you color the gray, because mine will grow back in 6 weeks. sure. Any information will be helpful. Your locks are looking great. Time will fly watch.

My one year is next week.....

SeZ said...

I feel you on really every comment that you have made some days you just love them and then the next, not so much. Your locs look wonderful, I don't think you have anything to worry about they will be beautiful on you.

Anonymous said...

Good words.